Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sweet land of Liberty

Before my day gets any crazier I want to get my post up! This week has been all about the fourth of July and America.
Scripture:D&C 98:5
 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.
We did the pledge of Allegiance today.The baby liked watching the flag.

We read the book Sweet Land of Liberty by Callista Gingrich. I decided to do some yoga with the story.It is about an elephant who wanted to know how America came to be.So Ellis the elephant goes to the library and starts reading books about the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving.The kids put their feathers on and ate a pretend feast.



We represented the Boston tea party with the boat pose and then we pretended to throw tea overboard.

The kids pretended to sign the Declaration of Independence. They wrote their names in the air.It was a good time to ask my Preschooler, no longer a Toddler what his name started with.We wrote an R in the air.We also did the eagle pose.


George Washington fought with many men and woman for our country. We did warrior 1 and 2.The second warrior honored in this book was Abraham Lincoln.




Next we were pioneers with wagons.We made wheelbarrows by having one kid lie on his tummy while the other kid grabs their feet.Then they walk around the room on their hands.

The book talked about living our dreams.Several inventors were mentioned including the Wright Brothers. So we all flew around the room.

Next we pretended to be the Statue of Liberty.

They made great flags!

The kids learned about the race to the moon.So they rocketed to the moon, 3 ,2 ,1 blast off from child's pose.

I found this great fireworks breath to end with.The kids had fun with this one!

Craft:Firework shirts.What you need:
paint,shirts,and pipe cleaners you can see how to make the fireworks with the pipe cleaners here


3 months and up:I wanted to make the baby something so I cut red strips from felt and used the white stars I cut from yesterday. Last I cut a blue rectangle. I pit it all on white felt.I am no Betty Ross but I like our flag and my Preschooler really loved making things from the felt.He kept calling me over to see his creations.We also recited the Nursery Rhyme. We do this all week.Repetition is key!

Color:red and blue
Shape:rectangle
Number:13.Now that my Preschooler is more comfortable with his numbers 1-10.We tried to count to 13,because of the 13 colonies.

HAPPY FOURTH EVERYONE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment