Monday, October 28, 2013

Meditation Monday- What does balance mean to me?

Lately balance to me had been more of an inward search.But there are many ways we view balance.Find your definition of balance.Most of us measure it in time.Last week that is what I talked about.I talked about reviewing your week and planning.

I have been thinking a lot of the quality vs quantity. If we measured our day just in the quantity we would be missing something.It is not just about crossing things off a to do list.It is the quality of time and being present in that moment.Can I really be playing with my kids if I am looking or talking on the phone?Maybe I am lost in thought about all I have to do today.That is why I write and plan more specifically to that which Is important to me.I like that there is not just one way of doing things.I have many options to look at.So really you need both quantity(How much of something) and quality(how and what you and all of those involved get out of it.

Quality matters when we are talking about the different areas of our life.If we neglect some areas like our fanilies or health or our couple time it will start  to show in all areas of our life.You cannot focus on just one area of your life.I found a post that has a great exercise to do to show how you need to look at life as a whole,even though there are different areas we devote our time to.

  1. Draw a large circle on a piece of paper and divide it into 8-10 pie wedges.
  2. Label each section with an area of your life that is important to you. Examples include family, friends, health, work, recreation, money, personal growth, spirituality, romance, physical surroundings and more.
  3. Rate your satisfaction in each area of your life. Think of the circle's outer edge as total satisfaction and the center of the circle as total dissatisfaction. In each wedge of the pie, place a small dot to indicate your relative satisfaction in that area of your life. (For example, if you are just moderately satisfied, place your dot in the middle between the center and the edge.
  4. After rating your satisfaction in each pie wedge, connect the dots to create a new outside perimeter for your circle. If you were to roll your circle like a wheel would it roll smoothly or be bumpy?

I have been spending a lot of time on spiritual so I know my wheel is a little bumpy. I am being less and less time on it each day.My home is going to need some "tlc" but I won't neglect my spiritual side or my health.I am going to make sure I am reading my scriptures and working on a personal habit for that month.

I realize too that balance is going to take a lot of work and planning.My husband and I were talking the other night about how he feels he doesn't spend enough time with each kid.He asked "how can I find the time?" I think a lot od us ask this question.The best way is to make it a priority.Schedule it,schedule it and schedule it!
The best thing to do is not try to make too many changes at one time.Tweak and tweak some more.
 Here are some questions to help :
What do you I need to do to get out of the door in the morning?
What do I need to do to keep my home running smoothly?
What can I do at night to make my days run more smooth ?
What makes me happy?What doesn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment