Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 10-Less greed and more generosity(31 days challenge)

 Today's challenge
Identify something in your life you are reluctant to share.  Is it your time, your resources, your heart, your best effort?  What holds you back from giving yourself away to others?  Is it fear?  Is it self-centeredness?  Worry that there won’t be enough left for yourself?  Look for ways to share your wealth, your resources,  and your time with others. Do it today.Maybe you’ve been wanting to sponsor a child, or maybe you’ve thinking about volunteering your time at a soup kitchen or pregnancy crisis center.You have so much to give and share. Your unique gifts and offerings were meant to be lavished on others.

Christmas is less than 3 months away!We all might know that famous Mr.Scrooge.When I think of greed I think of Mr Humbug himself.For this challenge I really want to involve the kids.We will start praying for a family in need and set some money aside to pay for presents,food,clothing.Whatever they might need.I did this for Easter for a family when I was a little girl and I still remember it!I remember the excitement on our faces as we hid eggs and knocked on the door.Their squeals and laughter are forever etched in my mind.Until then I have been praying for opportunities to serve if not in my home someone.I am trying to be more open to it.

I liked the points made in the post from http://www.livingwellspendingless.com.These challenges have been so wonderful and really made me take a closer look at myself!Several ideas of greed are mentioned.I want to go in more detail about time and effort.
1.Am I stingy with my time? Ecclesiastics 3:4
 "A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
The most important way and where we should always make time for its family!If you can't spend 15 minutes with your kids YOU are too busy!As a stay at home Mom we give all or most of our time.When your kids are young most of your time is feeding,helping,teaching,cooking and lets not forget changing diapers! As they grow up you will wish for more time with them.My biggest fear is there will be an empty house and lots of time!What it all comes down to is time.What makes you feel so happy and fulfilled is where your time should go.I would like to think that writing this post is time well spent if it helps someone who is searching or just wants to know they are on the right track or that they are good ENOUGH!

There is a hymn that comes to mind:Have I done any good in the world today?This is a great way to step outside ourselves and the business or comfort of normal day to day.The lyrics  go like this:

1. Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has any one's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
(Chorus)
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.
2. There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.
Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847-1909, alt.
Time is something we all can give freely!All it takes is some time to re-evaluate how we spend our time.Here are idea list:doing time

Am I stingy with my effort?  A day focused on effort makes the day go faster,I think. Do you know the story of the Red hen?The red hen wanted to make bread but there was a lot of work to be done.She asked her farm friends but each replied "Not I."When the bread was finished she asked "Who will help me eat this bread?"Of course there were no objections from the lazy animals to free food.(I don't object to free food either)If we work hard then we can really enjoy our labor.We can be in the game and not just on the sidelines!A teacher of mine growing up had all of us raise our hands.Then she said raise your hand higher.Most of our hands went up a little more.Can we give a little more effort somewhere?
Fill in this statement I should really do _____________!
Now go and do it!

Based on our efforts we put forth we should grow spiritually and uplift others,give of our self in regards to offerings to others,show more kindness and love,give without thought of reward or how much time and money we have.

I am grareful for:
1.rain
2.kindness
3.my Saturdays soccer free!


No comments:

Post a Comment